29 March 2010

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral "friends" launch renovation Web site

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral, whose founders included Carpatho-Rusyns, has launched a new Web site, Friends of Holy Trinity, as it tries to raise funds to continue renovations on the architectural landmark on Chicago's North Side.

As the site, itself, explains, Holy Trinity had its beginning when a small community was established in 1882 as St.Vladimir's. The first services were held in a house on North Noble Street and later in a rented house on Racine (then Centre) Street near Madison Street. The community then consisted of a small group of Orthodox immigrants from Carpatho-Russia (Carpatho-Rus') and Galicia.

"Carpatho-Russia" is an alternative term for Carpatho-Rus', the Rusyn homeland, and it's frequently used in an Orthodox context.

The church was designed by Louis Sullivan, probably best known for designing the Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company department store on State Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment