09 March 2011

NW Indiana's Dual Centennial: Gary's Lemko Sojuz

In our ongoing look at the thriving Carpatho-Rusyn community that formed two churches in Gary, Ind., in 1911, here's a 1938 photograph of the Gary chapter of the Lemko Sojuz, or Lemko Association, taken from the pages of the 1940 Lemko Sojuz Kalendar, or annual.

The caption notes that the majority of the members of this chapter aren't Lemkos from southeast Poland, but from the Presov region and Trans-Carpathia in what was then Czechoslovakia.

No comments:

Post a Comment